Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gulp...

I bought a new bike. A road bike. A really nice one. And it was a GREAT deal. I've never in my life owned such a nice bike. It makes me nervous. Alex and I have always wanted to get into road biking--especially out here in Michigan it makes a lot more sense than mountain biking. And since my stress fracture, my only exercise is biking and swimming (although presumably someday I'll be able to run again, at which point maybe I can do triathlons!). I wasn't really looking for a bike. Not really. It happened like this. The other day I biked 15 miles out to Pinckney State Rec Area on my commuter Trek bike. It was great fun, but the bike left something to be desired. Well, every now and then, like once a month, I check craigslist for things like dressers and plant stands. Last time I checked there was an awesome free desk listed that is now sitting in our office. Yesterday I decided to check bike listings just for fun. And there it was. A beautiful high end road bike, normally $1700.00 for only $650.00 (see here for the specs). Exactly my size. Posted the same day. Was it meant to be? Well, I emailed the guy asking if it was still available. He emailed back and said he already had two interested buyers who were coming to test ride it, but he would let me know. Around 8:30 pm he called and said that the interested buyer couldn't get the money together until Sunday or Monday, so he was going to give me a shot at it. Really? And to top it off, he was willing to drive 15 minutes TO MY HOUSE, to let me test ride it. Really? When he got here I hopped on and it fit like a charm. Let me tell you, if you've never ridden a high end road bike, you MUST do it some day. They are amazing. Seriously amazing. So I bought it. Holy cow! Don't worry, Alex was behind me 100%. I can't take my eyes off it (neither can Rambo).

So, does anyone want to come visit and go road biking?

1 comment:

Liv said...

Dude. I'm checking Craig's list right now. Maybe they'll have a free swimming pool for me. Or $1 six-packs of good beer. That's great that you got the bike! I'm very excited for you.