Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gardening

Alex and I have a garden! It's so exciting. I built planter boxes in the front yard where the plants will get the most sun. We planted tomatoes (including several heirloom varieties), peppers (both green and red), broccoli, green beans, straightneck yellow squash, and cucumbers. We're still looking for pumpkin and zucchini.










Notice the specially built watering system. I planted the plants in trenches down the long planter box with the idea that I could just put the hose at the top of the row and let the trench fill with water and slowly soak in. But, because the bed is on an ever so slight slant, the water runs right to the end of the row and then overflows leaving the top plants high and dry. In hindsight, I could have planted the rows across, instead of down, but then I wouldn't have had such a fun problem to solve. Anyway, I put plastic plant containers between each plant so that the water would dam up between plants. The bricks keep the containers from getting dislodged. The water travels down the trench through the little holes in the bottom of the containers. It works like a charm!

3 comments:

penn said...

that's so awesome! yay :-)

have you checked out the farmer's market for plants? Now is the right time of year -- they're selling all sorts of stuff there. I'd like to start something, but I my north facing balcony doesn't really get much (if any) direct sun. I think I'll stick to flowers for this year, but know that I love your system.

Lindsey said...

Suz you amaze me. I think you should patent your watering system.

Bonnie said...

Well, done. You'd make your mother proud.