Tuesday, July 20, 2010

2010 BTR Park Criterium

Alex hasn't been able to do many races in between weddings and vacations this last few months. He finally got the chance to get back in the saddle last weekend out in Kalamazoo. His parents were out for a visit, so Barb stayed home with Abby and Mel and I spectated. Unfortunately, we had to get up at 5:30 am in order to get there in time. Fortunately, I wasn't driving and Mel was sitting up front so I got to sleep on the way out. The race was a 1.1 mile loop around what I would call an industrial park type area. It was actually really pretty, surrounded by wetlands chalk full of blooming flowers.

Alex was leading or in the top 5 riders for most of the race, which was, in typical criterium style, 40 minutes of riding plus 2 laps. But on the last lap he got bullied out of the front and as a result didn't get a chance to sprint for the win. Too bad, since this was one of the only races I've ever seen where category four racers get prize money! But next time around, I'm sure Alex will have a better strategy for that last lap, and then we'll be rich!

Alex is the guy in the blue jersey with the orange bike and black helmet with yellow stripes.
First Row: at the starting line & one of the million laps where Alex was in first place.
Second Row: the sprint finish & dad
Third Row: flowers & evidence I was there



1 comment:

Liv said...

Alex is amazing. I can't believe he's so fast! I want to watch him race again, I bet it was exciting!