Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Polistes Metricus

AKA, the wasp that stung me in the eye and ruined a bunch of otherwise cute pictures.

It was my first day in Murphysboro at Olivia's house. The morning was going splendidly. Abby was in a great mood, the coffee was delicious, and the weather was fine. The boys decided to go outside to enjoy said weather and play with the dogs. Shortly there after I decided to join them with Abby. I rounded the corner from the garage to the backyard gate and noticed a wasp flying around the gate. I waited patiently for it to fly away, not wanting to expose Abby to a nasty sting. Finally it wafted off on the breeze, far enough away that I decided to go for it. I opened the gate only to discover two or three more wasps hovering around. I quickly shut the gate while swatting them away from Abby. Whew! We made it. And then BAM. One of them hit me on the eyebrow and started stinging. And it kept stinging. It stung while I ran away from the gate holding Abby in front of me yelling to Alex "TAKE THE BABY! TAKE THE BABY!" It finally stopped stinging when I got a hand free to swat it off. Ouch. This is the aftermath.


This is it's nest after Dennis kindly ripped it out of the gate to prevent further such stings.


And these are the otherwise cute pictures it ruined.

4 comments:

Liv said...

Welcome to my home. I hope you will come again soon.

Bonnie said...

Two comments..

OUCH!! and AWWW! they're still cute!

Lindsey said...

Hhahahahaha Im still laughing, not AT you...per say.

Rebekii said...

Well, I just think that is sad... Apparently Linds and I have slightly different reactions... It just looks... well... uncomfortable! But you wore it well!