Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Birding

This morning Abby and I joined some other EEB students on a birding trip to MacGee Marsh in Ohio. It's about an hour and a half drive from here and is well known for being a hot spot of warblers. I'd say it lived up to it's reputation. Below is my bird list for the day (this list may look short, but keep in mind that I was burdened by a squirming, tired, generally fussy 15 pound baby that did not want to be in her stroller, in her backback, or in her sling but only in her mommy's left arm which by now must have a bicep the size of Africa). I did not get any pictures despite lugging my camera and huge lens around with me--it was hard enough to get my binoculars to my face--so I provided links to pictures for all the warblers. My favorite was the Magnolia Warbler.

Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Red-winged Blackbird
American Robin
Baltimore Oriole
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Kingbird
House Wren
Winter Wren
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Prothonotary Warbler


Other notable birds that my friends saw but I missed due to baby feedings, leaky diapers, and screaming:

Canada Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Northern Parula
Screech Owl
Cape May Warbler

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like you had your hands full of warbler!