Friday, October 14, 2011

I'm Just Gonna Do It

Back when I was pregnant with Abby I wanted people to know that I was pregnant but found that it didn't often come up organically in conversation.

"Hey, did you see that paper in Science?"
"No, was it about pregnancy? 'Cuz I'm pregnant!"

"Hey, what did you do this weekend?"
"We went to the park. By the way, I'm pregnant!"

"I got lunch at BTB yesterday."
"Did you see any pregnant people? It turns out I'm pregnant!"

I kept thinking, well, people will figure it out on their own eventually. But I didn't really start to show until 4 months. And other people didn't think I started to show until 7 months. So that didn't work so well.

You may wonder why I wanted people to know. Well, first, so they would know why I was running so damn slow. Second, so they would know why I was getting a little "thick." And third, because I couldn't drink my favorite beer, eat unpasteurized cheese, drink unpasteurized apple cider (and yes, that did come up), or eat sushi and I wanted people to feel sorry for me. Oh, and I guess so we could marvel at the miracle of life together, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, in an effort to avoid awkward conversations with any of my friends and family who don't already know, I am resorting to announcing that I am pregnant with Mettlinger Baby #2 on my blog and thus on Facebook. I know, it's impersonal. But trust me, it's better than me trying to awkwardly insert it into an otherwise normal conversation. And to those of you who have already suffered said awkward conversations, I apologize!

I've added a neat floating baby widget to the side of the blog. In case you have trouble converting from days to weeks to due dates etc., I'm 14 weeks along, due mid-April.

I'll end with the cutest story you've ever heard. We told Abby that I had a baby in my belly (fortunately she is familiar with this concept, having seen Tory go through pregnancy with Benji). She leaned over and said "Can I touch it?" I told her she could touch my belly, but not the baby because it was inside me. Then she said "Can I see it?" I explained that she couldn't see it either because it was inside me. At that point, she pointed at my belly button and said "Can I see it through the hole?" She's the best.

6 comments:

Sus Mettler said...

Meanie

Liv said...

You're pregnant? What??? =)

I like this approach for telling folks and don't think its a bad choice at all. The first time this happened to you, you called me and before I could even say "HI! How are you?" you said: "Hi. I'm pregnant." And I was totally speechless, because really, what does one say to that? The appropriate thing to say is "congratulations!" but that's hard to think of when you're caught off guard. And what actually comes to mind is "really? you are?" which just sounds lame.
So bravo on the facebook/blog approach.
Oh, and congratulations. ;)

Liv said...

And p.s. I'm just plain getting thicker. I think its the beer and unpasteurized cheese and cider...

get rhythm said...

Woohoo!!!!!!! Start preparing yourself now for the craziness that is 2! You're going to love it though! Congrats!!!!

penn said...

<3 congrats! How exciting. I'm not gonna lie -- just the other day, I was thinking "I bet Sus is gonna have another baby one of these days soon." Glad to hear all is well and that you're going to produce another super cute human. I look forward to more pics. Too bad you didn't time this to do another Juno costume and take advantage of the big belly.

Also, I do remember you always saying that the best way to announce your pregnancy is to go to Ashley's with everyone and just order water. Please tell me you did that.

Lindsey said...

Hahahaa. You summed it up perfectly. I think I'll just copy and past this and send it out in an email. I look totally fat and I still have not told anyone. I just think they will figure it out eventually, but I guess that's probably not very nice...

I hate it!! Their really is not a good time. Then you have to answer all the same questions over and over. "are you so excited", "do you hope it's a girl", "how many are you having" etc...

Hummm. This gives me an idea. Think I'll send out and email and just answer all the questions...

Yes. Thanks Suz. This helps.