Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tricksey

These days Abby is acquiring new skills faster than I can say "boo." For example, she's starting to string together sentences like "Daddy, read book to me." Somewhat less charming, she's also beginning to understand the fine art of deception.

As many of you know, Alex, Abby and I spent Christmas and the week prior at the Mettler's home in Minnesota. If you've never had the honor of doing the same, let me explain something. Around the holidays the Mettler house is overflowing with sweets. There are tins and tupperware and bowls full of chocolates and cookies and cakes ALL THE TIME. This leads to a lot of sugar consumption. I of course allow myself to ingest all the sugar I could possibly desire, but I try to limit Abby's consumption. (Yes, this is hypocritical. I don't care.) As you might imagine, keeping Abby from eating sugar all the time when I myself am is a difficult task. It is incredibly hard to deny her, especially when she says in a tiny little voice "Peeeas?" To avoid the responsibility of denying her, I have taken to sneaking treats when she's not looking and either going to another room or turning my back. Sadly, it seems she has caught on to my tactics. Not only is it getting harder and harder to hide from her, but I think I've taught her to be sneaky....

With that background, let me take you back to Christmas Eve at about 8 pm.

The family has just finished dinner and retired to the living room for a round of present opening. Abby is wandering around, playing with various toys when she suddenly spots a bowl full of M&M's on the coffee table. Before making a move, she looks around to assess the situation. She is disappointed to find Mommy sitting right next to the target, looking directly at her. She tests the waters. "Cookie?" But Mommy is shaking her head before she even finishes asking. "No cookie." She stares at the bowl. They look so scrumptiously delicious. Little red and green nuggets of delight. She tries again. "Cookie? Peeeas?" But Mommy is stalwart. "No cookie. It's too close to bedtime." She stands, twiddling her hands in front of her, thinking. Then she says "Cookie, Gamma" and points to grandma, who is sitting just a few feet away. Mommy pauses. "You want to give a cookie to grandma?" Abby nods, points and repeats more excitedly "Cookie, Gamma." Mommy says "Okay, you can give a cookie to Grandma." She carefully picks an M&M out of the bowl and with arm extended begins to turn and walk toward grandma. The second her back is to Mommy, she pops it into her mouth.

What a sneaky little monster.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I read this 5 minutes ago and I'm still laughing