Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Little Tree

It's that time of year again. Time to dig out the little Christmas tree, adorn it with tiny little ornaments, and sit cozied up on the couch with cookies and milk to appreciate its tiny warmth.

I love our tree--it has so much history tucked away in its fake pine needles. Every time I unfold it, I think of its first Christmas, so many years ago, when Olivia was off at University and I was still at home. I remember mom and I painstakingly painting little ornaments and stringing beads to tuck away in boxes for Olivia to open, one by one, as Christmas slowly approached. Then I remember getting the Christmas tree in the mail after Alex and I moved to Ann Arbor, accompanied by a whole new set of boxes of ornaments, carefully crafted by Olivia and mom.

I love this tree because it makes me think of my family.

P.S. I also love this tree because I can tuck it away where Abby and Rowan can't reach it!

5 comments:

Liv said...

The tree looks as beautiful and unique as ever! While I love our gaudy tree, I miss the homemade ornaments of that little one. Guess D and I will have to start making some new ones!!

pecwanpete said...

Yes, your cute little tree doesn't need to have the sacrificial pile like ours does. There is now an array of toy soldiers with missing arms and noses - maimed while on active duty.

Bonnie said...

Such a lovely little tree!

Bonnie said...

Where's your pickle?

Sus Mettler said...

Oh, it's on there. It's just hidden well...