Monday, May 21, 2012

Dr. Messinger At Last!

I completed ALL 1 million requirements (just a rough estimate) for obtaining my PhD today!

It could have been a disaster--due to inattention, I ended up scheduling my post-defense meeting on THE LAST possible day at 9:30 am. That is so totally unlike me. I'm the kind of girl that likes to leave a little buffer...last minute things make me nervous. Like really nervous. As if to prove that my neurosis is justified, last night Abby woke up with difficulty breathing and had to make a trip to the ER (don't worry, she's fine--turns out it's croup, totally treatable with steroids and inhalants). Had she not responded to treatment or had to stay more than the 5 hours she did, I probably wouldn't have made it to my last minute meeting. But she and Alex made it home by 8 am, plenty of time for me to make it. Then, to relieve some of Alex's burden since he had not been able to sleep at the hospital (instead of not sleeping at home in bed, like me), I took James with me to my meeting. He had lulled me into a false sense of security by sleeping soundly for the hour leading up to the trip. But the instant we arrived at my meeting he woke up and cried and farted for the next half hour. Thank goodness for all the nice ladies in the Rackham office who: 1) informed me I didn't have to actually answer the questions on the requisite graduate survey, thus saving me 30 minutes, and 2) were willing to shove James' pacifier back in his mouth and rock his car seat while I uploaded my dissertation! Disaster averted, official notification of PhD received!



2 comments:

pecwanpete said...

Yeeessss! And wow, what an eventful night and morning!

Bonnie said...

So OFFICIAL! Congratulations--well won!