Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Abby Stories

Some cute things Abby has started doing recently:

1. She has caught on to the fact that when I am thinking, trying to come up with something, I say "Ummm." She really likes the way it sounds. Now whenever I ask her a question she prefaces her answer with a big, long "Um."

2. I've been anxiously awaiting the day that I can ask Abby what she did today and get an answer besides "today!" I think that time has come. Here are some answers that I have gotten recently. To get the full effect, imagine her nodding emphatically while she answers, and a confirmatory grunt at the end.

"Bi an Hea-er house"
"Nap"
"Lunch" (usually followed by a list of sometimes accurate lunch items)
"Read books"

But my favorite answer came yesterday, in a very quiet whispering voice that I had to lean close to hear:

"Shhhhhh, whisper. Rowan seeping"

3. Since our Subaru died (RIP), I have been bussing Abby to Brian and Heather's house. I don't particularly enjoy spending over an hour on three different buses in order to get myself to school, but the inconvenience is outweighed by how VERY excited Abby is to ride the bus. Once I mention bus in the morning, it's all over. She starts frantically getting all her winter clothes on, excitedly repeating "Catch bus!" I've learned to wait until it's almost time to go to mention the word bus.

The first time Abby rode the bus, she was surprised by the sound of the recorded announcement to "Please remember to take all your belongings with you when exiting the bus." She looked all around and didn't see anyone talking. Finally she pointed in the air and started nodding saying "Rachel!" Apparently she caught on that Rachel is moonlighting as a bus announcer.

4 comments:

Liv said...

Love these stories. I especially love imagining her hustling to catch the bus. I think she gets that from her mother, who loves to be on time. =)
Can I make a request? I'm due for a video of Abbey. Anything. Just want to see that sweetie|!

pecwanpete said...

Awwww. I love hearing her count too - with or without the 6. She is so good at enunciating everything.

Bonnie said...

So was it really Rachel's voice?!?

Sus Mettler said...

No mom, of course not. No graduate student, let alone Rachel, has time to moonlight as anything!