Friday, September 3, 2010

Words

One of the best things about being a parent is that I can marvel at all the awesome things that I, as an adult, am able to do. I never really thought I was that amazing, but everything I do is pretty much incredible. For example, I can handle a spoon without even thinking twice. I don't even have to look at it in order to get it to my mouth. And I can jump. Can you believe it? I can get BOTH feet off the ground at the SAME time! And words just flow out of my mouth without any effort at all. I even talk in my sleep it's so easy.

But enough about me. I thought now would be a good time to record Abby's progress on the talking front. She's by no means fluent yet, but she's got lots to say. As you read this list you may note that certain "words" have multiple meanings. Yes, this causes confusion sometimes. However, Abby can usually sort it out by pointing, screaming, and performing elaborate charades.

wawa = water
wa = walk, or wash
mama = mom, or I'm really pissed off right now
dada = dad
eya = Ella
sho = shower
bye! = bye!
dah = doggie
kit = kitty
whay = whale
fo = phone
ska = sky
pee pee= pee pee, pea, or pasta
ee = eat
gogo = yogurt
chee = cheese
bo = bowl, ball, or block
bi = bike
no no no no no no no = no, absolutely not.
no = nose
ca = car or truck (I think truck is more like ka though)
ha = hot
bee = bib, beer, or bee
pa = pants

And of course she knows lots of animal sounds:

Wolf
Dog
Rooster
Turkey
Kitty (which is sometimes "kitty kitty kitty!" and sometimes "meeeeooooooowwwwww")
Sheep
Cow
Monkey
Owl (which sounds suspiciously like the monkey)

She probably has a lot more words than this, but I'm either too dense to understand them or too old to remember them.

3 comments:

pecwanpete said...

As of today, definitely too old to remember them.

Bonnie said...

I always thought a monkey sounded suspiciously like an owl...?

Wise Woman said...

At lasr! Our baby is beginning to talk! So cute and so baby-like. Ken used to say to his Dad, "Bend warfoof, Dad" while both were sitting on stools at the bar - he had heard this so much from his Dad he thought he should say that while patting Dad on the back! I love baby talk. Thank you, Sus, for that vocabulary post!

GRANDMA