Friday, August 20, 2010

A Few Things

Some things Abby has done lately that make me smile.

1) For the last few months when Abby gets into an uncontrollable temper about something I have been saying "Abby, do you need a time-out?" A time out consists of me taking her into the living room, laying her on her tummy on a pillow, squatting down next to her with my hand on her back (but very deliberately not looking at her), and waiting it out. Once she has stopped screaming, I say "Okay, if you're done, you can get up." Well, the other day she got into a hissy about something and I said "Abby, do you need a time-out?" She stopped crying, stared at me for a minute, and then ran into the living room, flopped down on her pillow, and continued crying for a minute. Then she stopped, got up, and came in to see what I was doing. I was, um, astounded.

2) As I mentioned previously, at bedtime Abby turns her fan on and then I usually sing her a song before I put her in her crib. Because I'm not a very creative singer, I have just been singing "Rock-a-bye Baby" twice in a row. The last week when we've been going in to go to bed she turns the fan on and then IMMEDIATELY starts going "ba ba babee" in a sing song voice. It's so cute!

3) When Barb was here she bought Abby a mini-stroller and a "purse." Now Abby frequently goes and gets the stroller, slings her "purse" over her shoulder and walks to the front door yelling "BYE! BYE! BYE!" The cute thing is that she pronounces bye in a slightly southern accent...

2 comments:

pecwanpete said...

I love it. She has taught Rowan about the purse and southern accent. He now uses anything that he can throw over his shoulder - usually grocery bags - and heads to the door. Now, if only he can get the time-out part.

get rhythm said...

I love the time out story. I can see us using that technique in the next few months.