Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Applesauce

Last Sunday I went apple picking with some friends. What fun! And what a good deal too. It cost $40.00 / HALF bushel for pre-picked apples and only $22.00 / FULL bushel of you-pick apples. I picked two bushels--half Romes and half Ida Reds. I originally wanted Jonathans and Golden Delicious as per grandma and grandpas suggestion, but those weren't available (already picked out or not yet on). It was a gorgeous day, probably 80 degrees and full on sunny blue skies--something I will miss here in Michigan as winter closes in. As we left the orchard people were staring at us and kept asking what on earth we were going to make. I guess applesauce making isn't that popular here.



We got back from apple picking around 5 and Rachel and I went to work.



Tory and Ruby cheered us on as we worked and Alex made salad and ordered gourmet pizza to feed our hungry mouths.



Several phone calls to grandma later, we managed to crank out 17.5 quarts of applesauce in just a few hours.



Canning them took a bit longer since we had to come up with some way to keep the jars from touching while they boiled. Several coat hangers and cuss words later, we had it figured out though.



Then last night I made up 4 more quarts of applesauce and about 8 quarts of apple butter (half of it is still cooking). Yummmmmmmmmy. I love apples. Be warned that some of you may be getting apple based Christmas presents this year!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Suz, those are a thing of beauty. Nicely done.

Bonnie said...

I would NOT complain about an apple-based present.

Liv said...

Me! Me! Give me an apple-based present! I've been real good this year.