Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Holy Cow!

I've been thinking that a lot lately. I thought it first on June 25th at 3 in the morning (I was up early because of jet lag, having just returned from Italy the evening before) when I took a pregnancy test and it was positive.

Holy Cow.

And then another that was also positive.

Holy Cow!

Alex took the news much more calmly than I. He's more of a That's Great! kind of guy.

So I made a doctor appointment for a couple of weeks later. The appointment was yesterday morning. The doctor (who, by the way, worked with E.O. Wilson on the mangrove island experiments) took this Doppler thing and held it to my tummy and said "There's the heartbeat--you're about 12-13 weeks along I'd say."

Holy Cow! HOLY COW!

Yep, I've been pregnant for nigh on three months and didn't figure it out until less than a month ago. I always thought those stories about women not knowing they were pregnant were so ridiculous--what kind of idiot wouldn't know they were pregnant? Well, now I know what kind, and you all do too.

So, there you have it, there's a mini Mettlinger on the way. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this baby will be one tough bugger--I mean, it's already trained for a marathon and gone tramping through Italy, and next weekend it's running 28 miles during the 3-day Great Lakes Relay. Plus, the due date was estimated, out of the clear blue sky, at January 17th. The only other person I know that was born on January 17th, my dad, was pretty damn amazing...

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

YEEEEAAAAAA Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys I'm giddy. You know if you ever need my "expert" advise I'm here:)

Your gonna love it...most of the time.

Wahooo!

PS My sister was still running when she was 8 months pregnant and her kid turned out fine. I thought it might be misshapen from all that pounding it's head into her pelvis but it was not the case. So RUN ON!

penn said...

oh my goodness! congratulations to you guys. that is so exciting!

Bonnie said...

I'm so happy!
Grandma

Sha'Niqua said...

Wow! Congrats guys!
Maybe you should sign up for that triathalon now, since apparently the baby is game!

bug girl said...

Yeah! I am a little slow in reading all the blogs that filter through my Google Reader, but I am still so very excited! Congratulations! How very exciting.

The first half marathon i ran was with a friend who was 6 months pregnant. The only reason i could keep up with her was because she had to go pee every mile along the way, otherwise I would have been eating her dust all the way to the finish line.

Unknown said...

Wow! I definitely need to read your blog page more often... Daily!!! That is such wonderful, fantastic, wonderful, fantastic... did I mention wonderful and fantastic??.. news... oh goodness me! I'm just grinning ear to ear. Congratulations!

auntiemarlene said...

Wow, I really like this blogging. David and I are very happy for both of you.

January 17 is also the birthday of Benjamin Franklin, Muhammad Ali, Vidal Sassoon, Al Capone, Kip Keino, Betty White, Joe Frazier, and James Earl Jones.

According to "The Secret Language of Birthdays" by Gary Goldschneider and Joost Elffers, January 17 is the day of the Heavyweight. "Those born Jan. 17 are some of the most powerfully direct individuals of the year. This is in large part because they have a very clear goal, a firm idea of what it is they wish to accomplish at any given time. They are also able to effectively assess their chances for success based on past experience and the difficulties that lie ahead." there's more but you get the idea.

so- good luck with that little one.

Love you all,

Karen said...

WooHoo I am super happy for you both. I have no doubt that uncle jim will be watching over your new baby. Congratulations you will be wonderful parents. Love you!!!