Monday, June 23, 2008

Il Dolomiti

Yesterday I spent the day in the mountains. I had to take a two hour bus ride there and back, but oh my, was it ever worth it. I think you'll agree when you see the photos. Besides the amazing scenery, the great thing about the Dolomites is that I felt at home. I didn't have to worry if I was going to break the tiny glass figurines with my overly bulky Mountain Smith pack or stain a 100 Euro dress just be being near it. I didn't have to worry if it was kosher to order a cappuccino after 1 in the afternoon. I didn't have to blindly guess from a menu or dumbly point through the window in order to scrounge up a snack. I didn't have to feel foolish trying to ask someone how to buy a ticket or where to catch the train in Italian. And while all of that stuff is exactly why traveling is fun, being entirely out of your element for a while, it was so nice to have a break and be transported home, just for a day. If I ever come to Italy again, I will spend much, much more time in Il Dolomiti.

The town square in Trento


A view of the Brenta Dolomites from the bus

The hiking trail
(noted time 6 hours, my time 3.75--and I wasn't hurrying!)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Yes, I can imagine you'd be home there.

Lindsey said...

If I make it to Italy, I will also spend more time there. WoW!

Karen said...

It is so pretty. That is a great picture of you. You look so much like your mom.