Wednesday, February 13, 2008

AATC: Torture or Euphoria?

Alex and I joined the Ann Arbor Track Club to help train for our marathon. For just 30 dollars a year (a family membership) we have permission to torture ourselves at the track every Tuesday night. There are about 30-40 other members in the AATC, including our friends Rachel, Dave, and Heather. I suppose it doesn't have to be torture, but for some reason I can't bring myself to not keep up with "the fast group" (of which Heather is a member). Last week we ran 3 6:45 miles and this week 6 3:17 half miles--it's been about 8 years since I ran that pace, and at the time I was following a hot rugby player around the track so it doesn't really count. What's great though, is after the workout. The knowledge that I didn't give up even though I felt like vomiting most of the time is somehow kind of euphoric. I think I'm glad we joined?

2 comments:

Liv said...

You, my dear sister, somehow manage to horrify me and inspire me at the same time. I don't understand it either. I'm proud of you for being in shape--sounds like you're in shape enough for both of us, so that's good since I try not to lift both feet off the ground at the same time these days. But I'm also disgusted at your self-induced-almost-vomiting. Why? Why???

bug girl said...

I am so jealous. No matter how I try I can't seem to do better than 13 9:30 minute miles. The 13 after that are 12:00 minute miles. You are on my pedestal. You are my hero. Good luck on your marathon.